Wednesday, January 6, 2010

A Snow Story or Let's Get Lost

January 6th, 2010, 16:34:00

Day 5: Wroxton College, Wroxton, England, UK

Today, we were back at the Abbey. I fell asleep early last night (around ten-thirty) and when I woke up this morning, everything outside my window was blanketed in snow. We got about 14-16 inches in all and it continued to snow intermittently throughout the day. I slept through breakfast and workshop didn't start until eleven, so I had a brief walk around the school grounds before class. The woods were completely silent, hushed by the fallen snow, and there was only one pair of footprints on the ground when I left. On the way back, I walked in the shoe-prints I had left.

It's so peaceful here in the snow - besides the shush of snow falling from branches and the quiet babble of the waterfall and brook, there's nothing to hear. It reminds you of just how isolated you are. When I go hiking at home, you can usually hear voices or cars on nearby roads. It was nice to be alone with my thoughts. I got lots of great pictures. I wish that Angel could be here; he would love it.

Workshop went really well. I got a bit of a ego-boost as my professor said that my work was pretty much at a publishable level. I've actually gotten a lot of writing done since I've been here. It's such different pace than the Madison residence. I've spent less time drinking, playing pool and socializing and more time by myself reflecting and meditating and working on my book. Raquel even remarked upon it this morning - "you're so much calmer than last residency". And it's true - my heart feels so peaceful lately and I just feel really blessed for every little opportunity that comes my way.

After workshop, David Grand and I went for a walk in the snow off the beaten path. We came upon several badger holes, but didn't see any wildlife but birds and ducks. Again, it was peaceful, but it had a bit more of an adventuring spirit than when I went by myself. There was a really majestic viewpoint when we got to the crest of the hill across from the Abbey. Below us lay a field of untouched snow, bordered by the most beautiful sky I have seen since I've come here. It's one of those moments where you have to take a deep breath and let it all sink in. It reminded me of one of our resting places in Peru - at the precipice of a hill, overlooking a mountain intersected by the Urubamba River. I'm such a lucky girl in every way.

Going to try to write for a few hours before dinner. After dinner are faculty readings and then I will either go trek to the pub in all this snow or settle in and write some more.

No comments: